Registered Clinical Counselling
About Clinical Counselling
Clinical Counsellors use established mental health practices, techniques, and values to aid individuals in understanding and identifying their existing challenges, establishing new skills and capacities, and gaining emotional freedom. Our clinical counsellors approach your mental health and well-being in a holistic manner, taking time to fully understand you and providing you with education, awareness, empowerment, and participation in treatment.
Appointments are available both virtually and in-person.
What to Expect
Our clinical counsellors will start with a comprehensive assessment during your first visit, in which you will be asked a number of questions regarding:
- the nature of your challenges,
- external and internal factors that contribute to the betterment or worsening of your challenges, and
- your childhood, relationships, family history, and other topics as seen relevant by your therapist.
Once your counsellor has a better understanding of your situation, they will discuss their thoughts and treatment plan with you and allow you to be an active participant in your treatment. The therapeutic approach your counsellor decides to use for your treatment will depend on many factors, primarily the factors unique to your needs, the counsellor’s training and experience, and the goals of your treatment.
Information discussed with your counsellor, including your counsellor’s session notes, are fully confidential and cannot be disclosed without your consent except in dire situations. The guidelines of confidentiality will be reviewed with you by your counsellor, as your informed consent is vital.
According to British Columbia law and the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors, the following criteria identify as unique circumstances in which the limits to your confidentiality may be invoked:
- Court subpoena of session notes
- Possible abuse of a child or vulnerable adult
- Disclosure of intent to harm someone else
- Disclosure of operating a motor vehicle in an unsafe manner (as per the Motor Vehicle Act)
- Potential risk to the public if you are a regulated health professional
- Immediate danger of harming yourself
Appointments and Billing
We offer online booking and direct billing to most extended benefits providers. To schedule an appointment, please click here.